Romania is situated in the southeastern part of Central Europe and shares borders with Hungary to the northwest, Serbia to the southwest, Bulgaria to the south, the Black Sea to the southeast, Ukraine to the east and to the north and the Republic of Moldova to the east. Roughly the size of Oregon, Romania is the second largest country in the area, after Poland.
Geographical location of Romania:
between latitudes 43°37’07″ and 48°15’06″ North and longitudes 20°15’44″ and 29°41’24″ East.
Romania extends approximately 300 miles North to South and 400 miles East to West.
Bucharest — the capital city of Romania — is located at the same latitude with the cities of Portland – Oregon; Montreal – Canada; Venice – Italy; and Bordeaux – France.
- Mountains: 31% of Romania’s territory
- Hills and orchards: 36%
- Plains: 33%
- Areas covered by rivers and lakes: 3.7%
- Total number of lakes: 3,500
- Lakes greater than 250 acres: 300
- Highest mountain peak: Moldoveanu Mt. — 8,349 ft. (2544 m.)